Hearing loss: does your family complain the TV is too LOUD?

Just like your eyesight, you may not notice your hearing gradually deteriorating. Often the first signs are struggling to hear conversation when background noise is present or your family constantly telling you the TV is too loud. If you experience this and you currently work around noise or have in the past, you should contact our office.

We can arrange an appointment with a local hearing clinic to have your hearing tested free of charge.

Best of all, if you are entitled to investigate a claim under the NSW Workers Compensation scheme, we can apply for legal assistance funding for you from the Workers Compensation Independent Review Office (“WIRO”). This means, regardless of the result, there will be no charge to you.*

How can we help you?

  1. If we think you have a claim, we can organise a no obligation, free hearing test.
  2. We help you obtain the necessary documents to apply for legal assistance, including proof of your employment (even if you last worked in noisy employment many years ago, records are mostly available from the ATO) and if applicable, details of any previous industrial deafness claims.
  3. We submit the application for legal assistance funding for you.
  4. Once your grant is approved, we arrange for you to see a Workers Compensation approved Ear Nose and Throat specialist to prepare a medico-legal report, at no cost to you.
  5. We serve the claim on your employer, handle any disputes with your employers’ workers compensation insurer and if necessary, refer any unresolved claims or disputes to the Workers Compensation Commission.

If your claim is successful you may be awarded the following:

  1. Good quality hearing aids at no cost to you.
  2. If you qualify, a monetary payment to you for the portion of your hearing loss caused by work.

In most cases, claims can be made many years after you stop working around noise, especially, if a medical practitioner has never told you that you have industrial deafness.

If you work or have worked in the following typically noisy industries and have never investigated a claim, now is the time to investigate your entitlements:

  • Steel
  • Mining
  • Construction
  • Manufacturing
  • Mechanical
  • Electrical
  • Energy
  • Milling

Contact Amanda Robinson to find out more.

*You may need to pay photocopying costs, if you have had a previous industrial deafness claim and we need to engage an agent to photocopy those records in the District Court at Sydney. In most circumstances, these records can be obtained free of charge from SIRA or the insurer at the time.


Related stories

Industrial Deafness: Patricia’s story

Leave a Reply