Dr Richard Reid, Obstetrician-Gynaecologist, was found guilty of professional misconduct in September 2018 following a number of complaints brought by the Health Care Complaints Commission. Sixteen of his former patients from a Sydney private hospital assisted the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (‘the Tribunal’) in reaching the decision. The allegations of professional misconduct primarily concerned surgical procedures involving vaginal mesh.
The Tribunal held that it would have immediately de-registered Dr Reid if he had not already retired before the decision was made. Instead, the Tribunal disqualified Dr Reid from seeking registration as a medical practitioner for five years.
The decision was made following years of improper and inappropriate treatment of his patients which left a trail of women seriously injured and disabled. The allegations against him included:
- Reoccurring departure of accepted medical standards;
- Improper and unethical behaviour and the engagement of false and misleading conduct;
- Failing to gain proper consent from patients prior to performing surgical procedures;
- Failing to offer patients alternatives to surgery involving the use of vaginal mesh;
- Failing to refer patients for appropriate pre and post-operative investigations;
- Grossly inappropriate post-surgical recommendations; and
- Misusing academic titles in his advertising and communication with patients.
One particularly horrific case involved a Victorian woman who underwent a pelvic mesh procedure performed by Dr Reid following childbirth complications. The procedure failed and resulted in the woman suffering immediate and permanent incontinence, a collapsed vaginal vault, continuous and putrid vaginal discharge, shooting electrical pain from her lower body to her head, and significant psychological trauma. Other women have also complained of pelvic pain, sexual dysfunction and mutilation and dysmorphia of vaginal and pelvic anatomy.
The medical negligence lawyers at The Law Office of Conrad Curry urge any women who have suffered adverse outcomes following treatment they received from Dr Reid to contact us to discuss their legal options. We have female solicitors who are experienced in bringing claims against Dr Reid and who treat our clients’ matters with the upmost confidentiality and sensitivity. Please call our friendly team on 02 4050 0330 or make an appointment online.